Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tutorial: Upcycle-Rope Shoebox

okay so like 6 months ago i saved on my old shoebox from the trash with plans on dressing it up and turning it into something awesome.  well i ended up just covering it with drop cloth fabric and then kind of forgetting about it.  at the time i couldn't really decide on how i wanted to embellish it so i just filled it with junk and put it work.  

well, i saw this Upcycled Kleenex Box from Southern Flair Crafts in the GYCO party a couple weeks ago and i knew that was how i wanted to finish my box.  it's so similar to my rope containers i don't know why i didn't think of it before!  

in the tute from Southern Flair Crafts, she covers the box with rope first then makes the liner.  but since i already covered mine with drop cloth fabric i jumped right into the business of rope covering.  


i started by glueing the end of the rope down one side of the box.  this way the end of the rope isn't exposed on the top of the box and you can't really tell that there's a bump there after you wrap the rope over it.

and just keep wrapping and glueing your rope around the box.

and since my box was already covered/lined with fabric i didn't have to worry about making a liner.  i think it's actually a bit easier, especially if you don't like to sew you can just hot glue the fabric to your box.  and here's my box back in place hiding all of my boyfriend's essential toiletries.  if you're interested in that little magazine bowl you can find the tutorial here.  he got saved from the trash too:)


happy up-cycling!!  

linking up here!

5 comments:

  1. That's a smart one! I'm definitely trying it out- pretty storage is always in handy! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I have baskets that kind of look like this, but I like that yours have straight sides (no wasted space). Well done!

    Aloha,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Love that it such an easy adorable upcycle. Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of your upcycled storage container, super clever. Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great upcycle- I love the texture of the rope baskets- but they are too expensive! This is totally in my price range. =D I featured you on 2 Pick Tuesday! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/2-pick-tuesday-6/ oh! and If you have a minute, I'd love for you to link up to Sweet Sharing Monday - http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-15/

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share any thoughts, comments, advice or just say hello! Your comments make my day so don't be shy!!