unfortunately, whenever i look for pallets they always look like they're in really bad shape. and i tried taking one apart once and it was really rather unsuccessful...in fact i have the sad remains still on my lanai to remind me of what a horrible failure it was lol. i also read some articles about how some pallets are chemically treated and it can be really difficult to tell which ones those are. and since i have 2 bunnies who have to nibble on everything i decided that maybe using pallets wasn't the best option for home decor.
but i still wanted some storage crates. so i went and bought some pine lumber and made this bad boy:
first, apparently city mill really only sells pine and mahogany. and i wasn't gonna shell out for mahogany when i was going to make it look old anyway so i was stuck with pine. which is probably for the best because it still ended up being about $15 just for the lumber! already way more than i wanted to spend:/
i bought (1) 1"x10"x48" and (1) 1"x12"x48" here's how i had mine cut: (keep in mind that lumber is actually smaller than what it's marked so instead of 1" it's actually more like 3/4")
the 1" x 10" will be the sides-first, i had them cut it into (2) 23.5" x 10" pieces. then i had them split both those pieces in half (hotdog style). so you should end up with 4 pieces that are 23.5" x 5" (technically a little less than 5"). originally i had them cut the pieces to 24" because i forgot that lumber is actually smaller than marked, so when i got home and double checked i had to take an extra 1/2" off all 4 pieces. super annoying when you're working with a leatherman tool...
the 1" x 12" will be the front/back and bottom. i had them cut (2) 12" x 12" and (1) 22" x 12" pieces. you can cut holes to make handles in the front/back like i did or you can buy handles from the hardware section.
i stained and sealed all the pieces first then put it together. i started by attaching the front and back to the bottom piece then added in the sides. the construction is really pretty simple.
and i had to spend $12 on casters so the project was already almost $30! which again, was way more than i originally planned on spending. but i still liked the way it turned out. city mill also has this little cart in the lumber section of scrap wood for 50 cents a piece. when i was there they had a lot of chemically treated 2x4 pieces so you might be able to make a crate for much cheaper.
as for the finish, i ended up using minwax driftwood stain. i like the way it turned out but i wish it had more of gray tone.
i had originally planned on using the vinegar/steel wool technique that is supposed to oxidize the wood and give it a really aged appearance. well i put one piece of superfine steel wool into apple cider vinegar for one day and tested it out. when i took the wool out it looked the same but i could definitely see little pieces of it floating in the vinegar and it smelled pretty rusty. the first few pieces i tried had more of a brown finish rather than the gray i was looking for. i waited a couple days and it was slowly starting to turn a light gray color but it was still really inconsistent.
then i stumbled across a post where the writer would leave the solution sitting for weeks! well i didn't really feel like waiting around for weeks with a pile of wood in my kitchen so i just bought some stain instead. i still have the solution though so maybe next month i'll make something else that i can try it out on...
linking up here
have a great weekend!!
P.S. if you're interested, you can find the anthro rosette pillow here and the chevron blanket here
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
My entry into the Share It Link Party at The Winthrop Chronicles is sponsored by Appliances Online and their best Range Cookers.